Sunday 1 March 2020

An Announcement ...


I have made a decision; not a swift impulsive decision, but one that has been in gestation for a considerable time. A period of time during which I have had the opportunity to observe the growth and development in the major social media platforms for over ten years and I have come to a conclusion.

This is that I am going to withdraw from active involvement in the major platforms. My reasoning is that, whilst they can be a force for good, a platform for promoting much that is good and hopeful in the World, as well as putting forth the work of some very inspiring people and even the endeavours of those trying to make an honest living, they are, however, also a force for the not so good. 


Besides those who, at best, are there to promote a less than ‘social’ agenda, there are also forces, that harvest our data and interests in order to sell us stuff we don’t need. It has become the advertiser’s dream arena. But perhaps the most insidious and darkest of forces have also emerged and evolved into something that takes these platforms to another level of risk. A risk to us all. These forces, it is alleged, are there to wash unresolved minds, to influence voting behaviour, to spread misinformation and propaganda for potentially nefarious reasons, to inform ‘low-information swing voters’ (my thanks to Joe Pickin for this perfect phrase). It needs to be said that this phrase is not intended to be a derogatory statement, because it refers to those, for whom life does not allow them the capacity to research the facts, who are very busy or those who, through no fault of their own, don't know how, but who are nonetheless the target of unscrupulous propaganda.


I don’t personally feel under threat, because I have endeavoured to inform myself with facts in those areas that need them most. I have tried to source the truth of the affairs that confront us every day. I have to admit there is no perfect solution to this search, but, in the process, I have concluded that there is no better source of truth than the heart. It is my heart that I should be listening to; my soul that is the product of a lifetime of apperception - accumulated experience - that I should heed most. It is the natter, chatter and clatter of social media that has caused the elusive clarity that I seek, to become clouded; a mirky pool in which I don’t need to swim, not helped by the appalling state of politics in this country and elsewhere. It is an unnecessary distraction from the quest for truth and undoubtedly a far less effective means of expressing one's views on those affairs in life that are truly important.


But, in spite of all, this is not ‘goodbye’. I shall instead be sharpening my focus on my family, my close friends and those with whom I collaborate in creative, endeavours that have become, at least to me, a well recognised force for positive outcomes and life enhancing consequences and to all of whom I owe a great deal of thanks. I shall of course continue to communicate with the small groups that serve these needs and post anything worth promoting, but I shall not be interacting to as great an extent as I have been on the major social media platforms. I shall also continue to write from time to time, both here and over on My Poetry Library as and when I have something that is in my view worth to publishing. 


In the mean time, I leave you with my mantra …


“Where there is pride, prejudice and profit, there be lies and deceit.


Where there is poetry, poverty and passing, there be the path to truth.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave without letting me know what this article made you think, how it made you feel ... good or bad, I'll take either.