Thursday 19 March 2020

On Becoming a Hermit. Sort of ... Day 2

Day-2 
(18th March 2020)

Up at 7 am, as usual, although awake with the birds first tweets. Dogs and hens done and cup of tea in bed for B (we take it in turns). I'm sure I was woken by my bladder, but other possibly hypnopompic thoughts determined to get me worrying again.But in all honesty, I can't remember what those thought were now and I'm not trying very hard to remember them. Although, if I do remember before the end of this post, I'll relate them to you, if they're worth relating.

I then finished off yesterday's blog and posted it.So here we are towards the end of the afternoon on Day-2, which included another trip out to shop, because I observed we were low on hen food, so off to Argo Feeds for another sack. Whilst there, having paid, I enquired of the man in the warehouse if they'd been busy (it didn't appear as if they were at the time of my visit). He retorted that he hadn't had time to re-stack the shelves with new stock and blamed the media for causing panic buying. "it wouldn't have been like this in the 60's" he said. "Hardly anyone had TV's then!". I blamed social media more. More on this subject was covered in yesterday's post.

On the way home, around lunchtime, decided to drive round by the Coop to see, out of interest, if the car park was still heaving. It wasn't. It looked almost normal and at least far less busy than during my yesterday's visit. I decided to call in and fetch some coffee for a neighbour, who'd told me yesterday they were running out. Bought a couple of loaves of bread (now sensibly restricted to two per shopper) and some salt. Rounded the corner to the 'paperwork' shelves to find one of the supervisors putting up some new stock of toilet Rolls. Goodness me! Decided that I'd take one of the brandless four packs as a spare (our Somerset dwelling youngest was complaining yesterday that she hadn't been able to buy any at her Coop so thought we might be able to post some. 

I asked the supervisor if I could take a four pack and commented that it looked like the madness had died down today. "Only just" he replied, looking like he needed a break. her added, pointing at a laden trolly: "take some Andrex, if you want". He obviously took me for an Andrex kind of man!


Another walk with both dogs on the lead up the lane by the farm and onwards a bit, was our rather limited duty to the dogs for the day, explaining to them that they were lucky to be getting that and that they did at least have each other to play with at home, unlike the bull terrier we often see tied up outside in a front garden on our way back, who insisted on shouting across the road at us: "for goodness sake I'm so bloody bored, please give me a break!". That's our occasionally stubborn LabxRetriever, Meggie, letting us know her feelings about being short changed.

"Listen! I haven't finished my walk yet!"


Today's Music Choice from Clemency Burton-Hill's "Year of Wonder" is Polonaise de Concert in D major, op.4 by Henryk Wieniawski.


[If you have been affected in any way by this journal and feel the need for support, please talk to a friend, a family member, someone who loves you ... or, if you'd like, leave a comment below]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave without letting me know what this article made you think, how it made you feel ... good or bad, I'll take either.