Thursday 9 April 2020

On Becoming a Hermit, Sort of ... Day 23

Day 23
(Wednesday, 8th April 2020)

Today started in the usual way, up at 7am, feed and water the dogs (Meggie and Taz) and hens (we now have three, with no names, except 'the Old Girl' plus Newby 1 and Newby 2). Morning brew ... that’s tea by the way, not the name of a hen! 



Speaking of hens, following the arrival of the two new girls, there seems to have developed a new pecking order. Newby One Kanobi has struck up a respectful relationship with the Old Girl, but Newby Two D2 is being bullied by the Old Girl. Also Newby One seems (we think) to be laying, albeit small eggs, but, we surmise, Newby Two isn’t yet. 

This morning was our weekly Tai Chi online meeting with David Lipka and around ten others. The class comprises mainly of old hands from the class we used to attend until three years ago, when we started ballroom dancing on the same morning that Tai Chi was held. Anyway, an hour and a half later, we really felt like we'd had a session. It may look slow, but it really works the whole body in a very effective way, particularly those ageing joints. Felt good afterwards, although B felt a little more weary than me, but still found the energy to do some more gardening. We are both be careful with our backs.

The timing of our supermarket shop was almost perfect, arriving as it did just about at the end of the Tai Chi session. Waitrose, bless them, had yesterday changed what I'd ordered on the weekend on their new 'Click and Collect' offering to a delivery to our door, because I am on their priority list (because I am over 70!). We'd placed the order because we were running out of things and still had over two weeks to wait for delivery of the order we placed over a month ago! However, some stock has been replenished.

The only other task of note was that I continued with the preparation and repainting of the gates to the lower garden. It is always a source of satisfaction to make things a bit tidier and look a bit better, particularly in the garden.

Today's choice of music from Clemency Burton-Hill's "Year of Wonder" is Le Printemps - Spring. Op.18 by Darius Milhaud. Clemency wrote of this chap that, whilst he was quite prolific in his production of music, he was not what you’d expect of a super creative; not the tortured needy soul that is so often associated with such an individual. In fact, it was said that society in general held him in a certain suspicion, because he was so convivial and, dare I say, ‘normal’. The variety and uniqueness of human personality is, as ever, a source of wonder and hope for me.

In fact I’d like to add my own choice of music for the day, as well. Frank Ticheli’s “Earth Song”, whilst it is sonically particularly beautifully sung by my favourite Octet, Voces8, the lyrics are so very appropriate to now. I give them to you here ...

"Sing, Be, Live, See.
This dark stormy hour,
The wind, it stirs.
The scorched earth
cries out in vain:
O war and power,
You blind and blur,
The torn heart
cries out in pain.
But music and singing
Have been my refuge,
And music and singing
Shall be my light.
A light of song
Shining Strong: Allelulia!
Through darkness, pain, and strife, I'll
Sing, Be, Live, See...
Peace."


However you may be affected by anything I've written about, do leave me a comment below or, if you prefer not to, talk to a loved one, a friend or someone you trust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave without letting me know what this article made you think, how it made you feel ... good or bad, I'll take either.