Friday 10 April 2020

On Becoming a Hermit. sort of ... Day 24

Day 24
(Thursday, 9th April 2020)

B has finished setting up the App on her phone that enables her now to operate as a registered volunteer in the massive new National Volunteer force, helping the NHS by fielding calls from people at home in need of help, to collect prescriptions, ferry people to hospital (presumably for other than COVID-19 related appointments), or just, as B has done, to be an ear on the phone to listen to their woes. Seven Hundred and Fifty Thousand volunteers have registered, which is three times the number the NHS were aiming to achieve. Just so phenomenal how many good and willing people there are out there, when it comes to a crisis. And we surely are in one right now.

I have not registered for two reasons. I am not as qualified as B in counselling stressed people. I am over 70, which means I'm not allowed to deliver prescriptions and ferry people. Instead, I am in a support role to field our Guide Dogs puppy and our own dog as well as any other distractions when B is on a call. So that is sort of three reasons. Anyway, keep calm and carry on.

I finished painting and treating the garden gates, but for some further repairs on one of them at some point. So, onto the next job.


Today's choice of music from Clemency Burton-Hill's "Year of Wonder" is En la Macarenita Traditional, arranged by Bob Chilcott. Clemency is at pains to point out that this song has nothing to do with the pop hit of the 90's, so don't waste your time "dusting off your 'Macarena' moves", she says. 

However you may be affected by anything I've written about, do leave me a comment below or, if you prefer not to, talk to a loved one, a friend or someone you trust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave without letting me know what this article made you think, how it made you feel ... good or bad, I'll take either.