Tuesday 28 April 2020

On Becoming a Hermit, Sort of ... Day 42


Day 42
(Monday, 27th April 2020)

Forty Two days! I'm not expecting to discover the answer to life, the universe and everything on this day. But it does at least match the name of my blog! 

I took the weekend off, as I've threatened to do before, but not really done it properly. Hence we have jumped from Day 39 on Friday to Day 42 on Monday ... today.

Not to forget Clemency Burton-Hill's "Year of Wonder", the music didn't take the weekend off, so here are Saturday and Sunday's choices. Two fabulous pieces of music.

Saturday, 25th April: Six pieces from Kuolema, Op.44 1: 'Valse Triste' by Jean Sibelius. I'd love to dance the waltz to this. It is quite beautiful, even, nay perhaps especially because it is in a minor key. Also, the images in this particular clip, of the Aurora Borealis, are magnificent. 

Sunday, 26th April: Caprice in A minor, Op.1 No.24 by Niccolò Paganini. The opening and conclusion along with the subtle reiterations throughout the piece play us a well known musical line, which you cannot fail to recognise. Yet the virtuosity of this violin playing by James Ehnes is flawless; judging by a gasp from the audience in the middle of his performance, dare I say perfection. Judge for yourself. 

This morning, the company we used to replace our roof eighteen months ago, have started work on our next door neighbour's roof, following our recommendation. So, I guess a week or two of disturbance. But then our neighbours had to put up with the same from us, probably more so. Anyway, I guess it adds a touch of 'entertainment’ to the street.

Clemency's choice of music for today is: Prelude in G flat major, Op.11 No.13 by Alexander Scriabin.

However you may be affected by anything I've written here, do let me know by leaving a comment below or, if you prefer not to, talk to a loved one, a friend or someone you trust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave without letting me know what this article made you think, how it made you feel ... good or bad, I'll take either.